Thursday, June 21, 2012

Kitchen -The Putting Back Together

 

If anyone's ever remodeled a kitchen, they know that it is by far the hardest room to work with. There are so many little parts and jobs. Even now, as I'm writing this, we have finished a living room, den, laundry room and half bathroom and are still working on little details of the kitchen. Ours was especially hard because we literally moved the kitchen.
First, we replaced all electrical, insulation, and plumbing. And...let me tell you, to a girl, this was not exciting. It didn't even look like much progress-they're all hidden anyway behind walls.
Next, we Jesse built an archway going into the kitchen:



 And also a pantry (where the fridge is in this picture). To see more pictures of the "floating fridge," click here.







Next was drywall-which I'm so thankful for the friends who helped hang all that beautifulness. I don't think I would've lasted long on the ceilings trying to hold it.










Okay, ready? Here is where the women come in....drum roll please? The painting! And I have this wonderful lady to thank for it! (Jesse's mom).
Prepainting                                                              Postpainting











 Just look at all that beautiful sunshine!



Next, cabinets.







 The difference:
 Next, a hardwood floor. This was the point where I really started seeing it come together. I had become so accustomed to looking at all kinds of dirt and filth and pieced-together parts that, when the floor was finally put down, it made all the difference. Sooo...if you are going through a remodel, hold on til the floor honey! It makes all the difference.







The details:
Last, and always ongoing, are all the details of lighting, cabinet knobs, counter-tops (yes, for 6 months I cooked on plywood counter-tops!), etc., etc. etc. Was it worth it? Yes the memory of stud walls and dirt floors is starting to fade and I do love my kitchen! We've designed the entire thing-it is truly ours. However, I don't want the memory to fade completely, for it developed some character I never would know, empathy for others going through hard times, and a greater faith.


The pantry that you previously saw the fridge in.



No comments:

Post a Comment