Friday, December 8, 2017

Christmas 2017

It's been quite a while since we got together on here, Friend. Quite a bit has changed, actually.
Yes, I've changed decor and paint colors again...and again. The garage got a makeover and Jesse put in a patio.
But the biggest change around here are the little people that now inhabit this old century house. We welcomed sweet baby Karis Eden into our family in October this year and she brings our total to five.

Adding in three more Allisons has made our house a bit cozy, and I love it all the more. People ask me all the time if this is our forever home. After all, it's kind of rare anymore for kids to share a bedroom, right? Is a three bedroom house big enough to accommodate five? And I have to say yes, yes, and again yes. I've shared a bedroom my entire life and, growing up, the six of us shared one bathroom. That's right-six people, three bedrooms, one bathroom. And we loved each other all the more for it.


This is our home and I couldn't imagine a different one. God knew we needed this 127 year old house as much as the old house needed us. Her walls now hold tons of toys, family pictures (upon pictures), and Eric Carle books. Her old beams hear cries in the middle of the night, silly songs and rocking chair creaks. She sees every hiding spot we choose during a game of hide-and-seek, she feels the touch of little bare feet running on her hardwood floors, and is outfitted with dirty little handprints all over her window panes.
Yes, this is our home and Lord willing, always will be.

Around this time of year,  I like to take some time to reflect on our journey and all that we have. Things like running water in the sink, electricity, walls, even a stationary fridge are all things to be thankful for.
Rewind to year 2011: Here's what our kitchen looked like the day we bought our house.
And here it is during Christmas 2011: No baking, Christmas tree, or decorations going on this Christmas.
Yikes! That picture above sure makes me appreciate the picture below, which is how it looks for Christmas 2017:

And can this fireplace hold any more love? For years I thought it would only hang Jesse and my stockings and now look at those additional three little ones God gave us! Some people probably think I'm a bit obsessed with pictures, which does have some truth to it, but those pictures are a constant reminder to me of God's overwhelming goodness. We were able to have our first fire it it this fall after having some work done on it and I don't think I've ever tasted a better s'more. 
(Side story-after we had our first fire, a squirrel came down through the fireplace because we forgot to close the flue. I did my brave part by running outside with Aislyn and Declan while screaming. Jesse did his brave part by chasing it back up the flue with a broom. Oh the stories this house has!)

And can we rewind back to our 2011 living room?


Walls are such a wonderful thing to have:


Now mind you, 5 seconds before these pictures were taken, I ran around like a mad woman gathering up all the toy cars, lost puzzle pieces, and play kitchen food that typically adorns our floor. :)



Yep, this is our home.
It makes me thankful every year-Not only because it reminds me of what we've done without, but also because it reminds me of what we have.


1 comment:

  1. I love your beautiful Home, your beautiful Family and especially your beautiful HEART for God! I am moved and encouraged by you as you share your faith in Christ to honor Him in your blogs and to give Him praise for your blessings. I so often feel alone as a Christian educator, even though I know I am not. Your faith-forwardness has TRULY encouraged my heart and inspired ME to be more faith-forward...and you know what? Now, as I have been more overt in my love for Christ, more and more believers (especially in the education setting which is VERY liberal-atheist in Wilmington, DE) have come forward to me to join me in just celebrating how good our God is and how blessed we are to be called into our fields.
    This NEVER would have happened if such wonderful women of faith like Jenna Rayburn Kirk, Felice Clark, Anne and YOU!
    Thank you for your heart and love!

    ReplyDelete